[Tuxaloosa] Using a modem on a remote Linux server?

leprkhn leprkhn at gmail.com
Wed May 2 18:07:03 UTC 2012

On 5/2/2012 11:10 AM, Beddingfield, Allen wrote:
> Hi All,
> I was wondering if any of you have any ideas of how I can accomplish this:
> I have a Linux VM that I would like to be able to use the modem on a
> Linux-based physical server to dial out for paging.  (Monitoring package
> running in the VM, and would like to come up with a scheme to allow it
> to use a modem across the network on a physical server to do paging).  I
> don't have the option of attaching a modem to the virtualization host.
> Anyone ever done anything like this or have any ideas?  We can obviously
> just send an e-mail to the address for the pager, but it would be nice
> to have a method to call out with a dedicated phone line, in the event
> that the message being sent is an alert that the SMTP server is down :)
>

> Thanks.
> Allen B.

First thought is, assuming you can control the modem from tty with
minicom, wvdial, kermit or something, why not have a script on the vm
that tags the hard server with a little ssh-fu? Access is through
internal net only, yeah? Might be the easiest.

Second thought? Remote serial port with getty accessing a ppp daemon on
the hard box. Essentially making the hard box a pppoe server. The
Internet seems to tell me this is possible, but I'm having to wade
through more BSD documentation than I'd like. Sounds old school.
Probably harder than you're looking for.

And just for shits and giggles: Remotely access warvox with a
meterpreter shell. http://warvox.org/install.html