[Tuxaloosa] Using a modem on a remote Linux server?

Beddingfield, Allen allen at ua.edu
Wed May 2 16:10:00 UTC 2012

Hi All,
I was wondering if any of you have any ideas of how I can accomplish this:
I have a Linux VM that I would like to be able to use the modem on a
Linux-based physical server to dial out for paging.  (Monitoring package
running in the VM, and would like to come up with a scheme to allow it
to use a modem across the network on a physical server to do paging).  I
don't have the option of attaching a modem to the virtualization host.
Anyone ever done anything like this or have any ideas?  We can obviously
just send an e-mail to the address for the pager, but it would be nice
to have a method to call out with a dedicated phone line, in the event
that the message being sent is an alert that the SMTP server is down :)

Thanks.
Allen B.

--
Allen Beddingfield