[Tuxaloosa] UA Linux user group

Paul Kilgo paulkilgo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 21:13:51 UTC 2011

> So I think if we register a UA organization for the LUG I can get some
> access to meeting rooms et c. for a nominal rate.  Maybe $20 per meeting,
> with some restrictions on food that can be brought.
> Does anyone have opinions on this?

Always thought it was a good idea. It might be somewhat in competition
with the existing ACM student group, but ACM is already full of a
bunch of Linux junkies anyway.

> Room information is at
> http://www.ferguson.ua.edu/facGuidelines.cfm
> Aramark has an exclusive contract on food services.  I don't yet know how
> much this would impact bringing in food or drink.  The restaurants in the
> center and their hours are
> http://www.ferguson.ua.edu/foodServices.cfm
> If we did a 6:30 start then the options would be
> Topio's pizza
> Stwrbuck's
> I believe some grab and go stuff is in there, as well as chips etc
> Chick-Fil-A
> We may be able to bring in small amounts of food.  They may only care about
> catering-scale food.  I'm sure organizations bring in pizza or some such.
>  Organizationally-brought-in food under $35 can apparently be brought in if
> it's snacks:
> http://ferguson.ua.edu/snackPolicy.cfm

I know that Papa John's is the official pizza ordering place that can
charge to a UA account. I also know that the Hackberry location can go
asshat on you sometimes, but they may not let an organization deliver
pizza to the Ferg anyway. There's not going to be anything stopping
individuals from bringing in food.

> I don't yet know about their AV setup.  I suspect if we wanted we could
> bring a projector or something if the room has a screen.

Some of those rooms upstairs have screens (and are meant for
presentations), so does the ballroom and the big dining room on the
main floor of the Ferg.

> If I charter out a student org, then I'll need a name.  It's probably not
> appropriate to steal Tuxaloosa - UALUG is lame.  Linux Association for the
> Rolling Tide (LART) may work.  Any other ideas?

BLUG? :P

As well, if you want to try to garner any support from the CS
Department or ACM I know who to go to. Not sure if there needs to be a
sponsor of some sort, but it might be hard to find a professor in CS
willing to do that.

--
--Paul