[Tuxaloosa] Web design opinions requested

Stewart Dean studean at comicnet.net
Fri Feb 12 18:27:20 UTC 2010

Thanks for the info!  Let me lay all my cards on the table:  My parents
wanted a website for their Real Estate company.  At the time, I was
swamped at the office, so they hired an advertising agency to create the
website for them.  They defined the parameters and the company got to
work (or so my parents assumed).  The contracted price was, I believe,
$4,500 and they wanted half up front -- you know, for all the costs
associated in setting up a website on somebody else's server and all...
7 months later, my parents got a reasonably basic Joomla install (and
it's been a few years since I poked Joomla with a stick, so I'm not sure
if there are any unorthodox extensions included) with a $37 template for
their $2,250.  That's when I got involved...  Nothing about this site
seems worth the 2K -- certainly not the time they put into it or the
template that we almost had to force them to update (header was bigger
than the content, making the website useless on a netbook).  They claim
my parents didn't give them enough information to fill out the site, but
it's a CMS.  Put the site up, show them how to update, and if they don't
like it, they have nobody to blame but themselves.

Now they feel that they have somehow earned the $2,250 for all the time
they put into the website that took them away from other clients.  Think
about that for a second -- they complained that my parents weren't
giving them enough information to create the website.  Do they expect me
to believe that they just kept working on it anyway?  Or maybe their
programmer works out of the back of a cab with the meter running...

I explained very politely that I happened to be gainfully employed as a
web designer/programmer, and I know how much work he put into the
website.  I even pointed out where he purchased the template (but it's
just as likely that they didn't pay for it and just pulled the files
from the demo site).  I pointed out the flaw in the logic that said they
did a lot of work even though they claim they had no way of knowing what
work needed to be done.  I requested that they refund 2000 of the 2250
because 25/hour seems more than generous for the output.  They didn't
secure the website* or spell check any of the pages.  They didn't even
read the copy to make sure it made some sort of sense...  And this was
an ADVERTISING AGENCY.  "The customer is always right" is crap.  The
customer pays people to be right so they don't have to learn how to be
right themselves.  If they wanted to be right, they wouldn't need
somebody else to do the work for them.

You'd think that an ad agency would have as their primary objective
"make the client look good".  Not "make the client look like they failed
kindergarten"...

Stu.

* Tinybrowser was the culprit.  Check any Joomla sites for
"plugins/editors/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/tinybrowser/upload.php"
and move or disable that stuff...  No login is required to use it, and
you can upload arbitrary files and rename them for malicious intent.  It
won't let you upload php files directly, but you can upload a file and
use the "rename" feature to end up with something that will work.  If
you successfully manage to rename a file to an invalid (by tinybrowser's
terms) extension, instead of deleting the file, it just doesn't display
it in the list.  I ended up installing dbkiss.php to manually add an
admin account for myself...