[Tuxaloosa] Open-source personal finance recommendations?

Robby Workman rworkman at tuxaloosa.org
Wed Dec 29 15:13:36 UTC 2010

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 08:50:29 -0600
Cameron Purvis <cameron.purvis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hope everyone had a good holiday experience - sufficient quality and
> quantity food... :)

Probably too much in both areas...  ;-)

> * GNUcash is the knee-jerk answer for OSS personal accounting.  It
> uses a different mental model from Quicken, and I may be too stupid to
> use it.  GNUcash looks like an awesome accounting app but may be
> overkill.  Still, maybe it's time to cowboy up and learn it?

For those six of us  ;-)  still using a distribution that doesn't ship
gnome, gnucash is a sadistic bitch to build.  Therefore, it's out of
the question for *me* personally.

> * Moneydance - non OSS but I tried this ages ago.  Kind of like
> Quicken's dumb cousin.

I've been using this since 2004.  I like it - don't get me wrong -
but the "keeper" feature of moneydance is the cross-platform
nature.  My wife insists on using Windows, and while I would like
for her to use linux, I like for her to use *me* much more, so
therefore she gets to use Windows.  I, on the other hand, obviously
use linux.  Moneydance offers a consistent interface on both of
those, but more importantly, we can each work with the same data
file (though not at the same time) over NFS/CIFS from the LAN's
file server.

I bought Moneydance in 2004 for $35, and the next time I was
required to pay was last year, and I got a half-price discount
because I was upgrading.

> Who uses any of these?  Do you have any others?

There's also KMyMoney, but I've not used it.

-RW