[Tuxaloosa] hardware virtualization

Beddingfield, Allen allen at ua.edu
Sat Dec 20 18:13:04 UTC 2008

Enabling that in the bios turns on access to the AMD-V (or Intel VT-x on Intel systems).  This will give you much better performance on your VMs, but is only to do with the CPU.  VMware or VirtualBox (or XEN for that matter) will make use of this.  I would go with Virtualbox.  The performance of the VMware server in video, etc...is horrible.  The for-pay VMware workstation is better, but it takes some extra tinkering to get it to work on Slackware the last time I went that route.  Virtualbox is what I use to virtualize Windows on top of Linux on my workstation at work and have had good luck with it.  I have not tried the latest build, though.  I think it is supposed to have improved video support, but I'm not sure about that.  I know that it does support AMD's virtualization very well, but I have had very unpredictable results with their support on Intel CPUs.  Sometimes that works...sometimes it doesn't...sometimes it brings down the host OS in the crash...  Shouldn't be a problem for you with AMD CPUs, though.  When you create a VM, you will have to manually force it to use AMD-V, otherwise it will not by default.
Either way, you are going to be emulating some old video hardware - not accessing the onboard hardware directly, so I doubt it will be up to handling Adobe apps.  Your best bet will probably be to try getting that going under Crossover.

Hope this helps...

Allen B.