[Tuxaloosa] hardware virtualization

E Hanson leprkhn at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 17:44:52 UTC 2008

running the new slack on my main box - AMD Phenom 9500/GigaByte
GAMA790X/ATI HD 4850/4G RAM (yes, i have a windows partition for
illustrator/photoshop/indesign and games)...
i want to get rid of that windows partition and im wondering how i
should continue to use my adobe apps. in the bios on my board there is
an option to optimize for hardware virtualization. will VirtualBox or
VMWare make use of my video hardware? i have a copy of crossover office
that claims to do the photoshop via WINE, but that still leaves me
without illustrator and indesign (i can live without the games).
what i WANT to do is install an uber-minimal windows xp in a virtual
machine and run them there. has anyone done this? how does it work?
which virtualization app should i use? is one better than the rest? i
remember reading on /. about Suns VBox using the hardware well, but
haven't used it.
so... what are peoples thoughts?

erik