[Tuxaloosa] Linux Proficiency

Beddingfield, Allen allen at ua.edu
Fri Dec 19 14:20:07 UTC 2008

Michael,
I have been looking in depth at the various offerings for Linux
certifications and training recently, since our new CIO is a big fan of
certifications.
Why not go ahead and get certified as well?  The Redhat (RHCE) and SUSE
(NCLE) track ones would probably be the best way to go to increase the
chance of $$$ in the future and to look good on a resume.  Whether we
like it or not, those are the two distros that most employers are
looking for experience with.  The LPI certs are distro independent,
though, and focus on concepts and the standard way of doing things.

I agree 100% with the previous reply.  I have learned more by repairing
broken systems and actual experience than I have ever picked up from any
books (but they are a great reference!).

Anyway, I suppose it depends on your long-term goal.  If your goal is to
just learn for your own enjoyment (which is the way I got started doing
anything with Linux...), grab a copy of Slackware and Debian to start
with...learn to do everything the "hard way" to begin with.  Then, grab
a copy of OpenSUSE and CentOS...configure them, and you will have an
understanding of what the config utilities are doing in the background
based on your experience doing it manually.

Once you have done that, then you can dive into the world of
BSD....OpenBSD and NetBSD to start with, followed by FreeBSD and the
variants.  The init style will look vaguely familiar after spending some
time with Slackware :)
Then if you are really feeling masochistic, you can delve into Solaris
x86...

Just a few thoughts...
Allen B.