[Tuxaloosa] [BALU] Linux Proficiency

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.us
Fri Dec 19 08:41:58 UTC 2008

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008, Michael Ramm wrote:
> I am not a goals kind of guy, but I have decided that in 2009, I would
> like to become proficient in the Linux operating system.
>
> What exactly does that mean? I am not really sure, and that is why I
> bring the question to the lists.

find / -exec man {} \;

Then start building things and breaking them.

There is nothing like trying to find the backup superblock with only sh,
fsck, and a few other friends. It may take several hours to enumerate
sector by sector through the disk, but eventually the logs will tell you
where the filesystem used to live, so you can recreate the disklabel,
fdisk entries, and pull the data off the slice.

--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR  <kris at catonic.us>
But remember, with no superpowers comes no responsibility.