[Tuxaloosa] [BALU] 2012 SouthEast LinuxFest -- Venue

Robby Workman rw at rlworkman.net
Thu Aug 25 17:31:04 UTC 2011

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 10:44:18 -0400
georgia_tech_swagger <georgia.tech.swagger at gmail.com> wrote:

> Howdy folks.   The SouthEast LinuxFest is looking at 6 potential
> venues throughout the Southeast.   Please vote for your preference
> here:
>
> http://www.southeastlinuxfest.org/poll/selfs-2012-venue
>
> One of the big concerns the SELF organizers have with holding an event
> outside of the footprint of UCLUG is volunteers.    It takes alot of
> volunteer effort to pull the event off, and the lion's share of that
> comes from the local LUG.   If the event were in Birmingham, could we
> count on a nice healthy sized group of volunteers from BALU?

I don't claim to speak for the SELF organizers, but as someone who
was there in the beginning, and but for the birth of a child, would
have been in the middle of things every year (I missed 2010), the
perceived lack of help is the major reason why I did not vote for
BHM.  I don't mean that as a criticism of anyone - if that's what
it is, then it's more of a criticism of me than anyone else - it's
just we aren't typically very active.

That being said, if there are enough of you guys (and girls) in
BHM willing to work your butts off to make it happen, then I will
certainly be willing to burn up the road between Tuscaloosa and
BHM to help in any way I can.  I suspect some of the other folks
in Tuscaloosa will also be willing to help out (so I'm CC'ing our
TLUG list).

I think it would be good for BHM to host SELF-2012, and I'd certainly
welcome the (lack of) driving time relative to SC, so if there are
enough of us willing to make it happen, I'm game.  :)

-RW