[Tuxaloosa] mapping a network share in fstab

Robby Workman rw at rlworkman.net
Fri Sep 25 16:41:33 UTC 2009

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 11:12:13 -0500
"E.H." <leprkhn at gmail.com> wrote:

> how do i?
> i have \\storage\share shared out with samba. you need username and
> passwd to get to it. how do i set this up in my local fstab?

See mount.cifs(8) - basically, you add a mount option to specify a
credentials file, and put the relevant information in that file.
For example:

  //storage/share /mountpoint cifs credentials=/etc/cifs_creds 0 0

You'd obviously wnat /etc/cifs_creds to be readable and writable
by only root, and its contents would look something like this:

  username=somebody
  password=somepass

-RW