[Tuxaloosa] ssh problems

Andrew Browning drew826 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 18:07:02 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 12:48 PM, E.H.<leprkhn at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 12:17 PM, Andrew Browning <drew826 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> You can check to see if your Ubuntu machine is listening on the sshd
>> port with telnet. From your Windows machine, open a command prompt
>> (Start->Run->cmd) and at the terminal, type
>> "telnet 192.168.0.5 22" without the quotes (note there is a space, not
>> a colon, between the IP address and the port). If you get a response
>> along the lines of "Could not open connection...," then the Ubuntu
>> machine _is not_ accepting outside connections on that port. If you
>> instead get some kind of banner, along the lines of
>> "SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.2," then the Ubuntu machine _is_ accepting outside
>> connections on that port.
>
> i can telnet in and get a banner

Okay, new strategy. It seems the Ubuntu machine is accepting
connections, but you haven't been able to successfully authenticate.
When you try to connect with Putty, are you presented with the "login
as:" prompt? If so, then you're mistyping your username/password
(seems very unlikely), your user isn't allowed to connect via ssh from
remote machines (and I'm not sure how that would be set), or Putty and
your Ubuntu machine aren't speaking the same SSH dialect.

If you don't receive the "login as:" prompt, then Putty either isn't
finding the machine at the IP address and port specified (make sure
that it's set to port 22 when you try to log in) or it's failing to
understand the initial SSH communication.

All of these cases seem pretty weird, so I hope it's something simple
like the Putty default port being changed to Telnet. Otherwise, you
might need to go through Putty's Configuration and look in the
Connection section for anything odd.