[Tuxaloosa] Any hardware hackers out there? Fun to be had with a LCD display with busted cable?

Stewart Dean studean at comicnet.net
Sun Aug 23 19:02:39 UTC 2009

The picture frame wouldn't work as described since VGA monitors don't,
by default, accept composite video.  There isn't a lot that can be done
without hacking in a cable, but I wouldn't bother with splicing it --
I'd simply open it up and wire in a whole new cable.  Better still, open
it up, wire in a female DB15 (or male, you know, if that's the way you
wanna roll...  I know *I've* got a load of M/F VGA cables just sitting
around being useless...)

Of course, once I went to the trouble of getting it PC-worthy again and
tested it out, I'd rip out the backplane and lamps, drop an IR-sensitive
webcam behind it, and make a tiny little multitouch screen.  If you
wanted to get really fancy, you could make an infrared light pen and
make a Cintiq-like device, though it would be a little difficult to
reliably do pressure sensitivity that way.  (One possible solution could
be to dim the LED based on pressure, but the resolution of such a
solution would be incredibly low [compared to the 256 levels of
resolution of a normal tablet pen] and, depending on the webcam used,
could give wildly inaccurate results...)

Now if you want a picture frame or vehicle hack, go down to Dirt Cheap.
They're always getting in portable DVD players and LCD picture frames.
The picture frame screens may not be the best for hacking, but the DVD
screens should work great!  I've got one that I've separated from the
DVD control board that I'm trying to hack a composite input into so I
can have a little 7" screen for those times when I need to check
something on the main entertainment center without turning on the
projector...

Stu