[Tuxaloosa] VBox on slackware

E Hanson leprkhn at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 17:37:26 UTC 2008

i'm having a little trouble getting VirtualBox on the new Slackware
(12.2). i've tried a SlackBuild with the source. and i've tried
./configure, make, make install on the source and both give me the
following output after unpacking:
patching file VBox.sh
/tmp/SBo/VirtualBox-2.0.6
Checking for environment: Determined build machine: linux.x86, target
machine: linux.x86, OK.
Checking for kBuild: found, OK.
Checking for gcc: found version 4.2.4, OK.
Checking for as86: found version 0.16.17, OK.
Checking for bcc: found version 0.16.17, OK.
Checking for iasl:
  ** iasl (variable IASL) not found!

and then it exits.

google tell me that iasl is an intel compiler. part of the acpica
package. acpica.org has unix source code, but also says that the linux
kernel >2.4 has it built in, and that the linux versions of the
user-space ACPICA utilities (iASL, AcpiExec, AcpiXtract) can be built
from the UNIX ACPICA source code package.
so i got the package and built iasl (in the compiler/ dir) with make,
and it built just fine... but i don't know how to install it. i can run
it from the compiler directory. should i just move the contents of the
compiler/ directory to a directory in my $PATH? do i need to buils ALL
of the tools or can i make do with just the iasl?

erik