[Tuxaloosa] Summary of 10/28 Meeting

Robby Workman rw at rlworkman.net
Wed Oct 29 16:15:29 UTC 2008

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 08:33:22 -0500
"Michael Ramm" <michaelramm at gmail.com> wrote:

>    - We will house the webpage at http://tuxaloosa.org.

I've changed it up a bit from what was there last night.  The *code* is
much better, even if the *look* might not be ideal.  On that note, I'll
confess that I'm not creative at all when it comes to stuff like this,
and for the most part, I don't see problem :-)  I tend to prefer a more
"industrial" look, for the most part, as useless fluff just ain't my
thing...   With that said, suggestions are welcome.  Is the general
layout idea okay?  If so, then colors are easy to modify.

>    - We will meet monthly on the 2nd Thursday of each month at Capture
>    Studio Cafe on University Blvd.

I'll get that onto the webpage at some point.

> One problem for November meeting is that Techmixer Unplugged
> <http://www.techbirmingham.com/unplugged-2/> is slated for November
> 13, 2008 in Birmingham.

I went ahead and registered too, just in case.

> We can meet the week before (11/6) or week after (11/20). *Discuss*.

Hrm, I think I'm off the week of the 20th, so that should be fine.
Alternatively, the 6th might be better, as we'll (hopefully) have the
webpage stuff hammered out by then and will have a better idea of where
to go from there.

>    - Stewart is working up an icon for the group as well as a
> typeface for the name.

Sounds good.  Stu, if you can get me a mockup (even hand drawn will be
fine) of how you envision the site looking, I'll see about implementing
it.

>    - We settled on Tuscaloosa Linux Users Group (I think). Correct me
> if I am wrong.

TLUG - that works.

>    - After the meeting, Erik floated to the mailing list a project
> that he is involved in building computers to giveaway. Again, this is
> a great opportunity for our group to get rid of parts and expose
> folks to linux.

Yeah, I think this is a good idea as well.

> I think that may be it. I think that we are group of enthusiasts that
> is committed to spread Linux to our community. I want to try to get
> Cameron Purvis involved. He is one of the Unix guys at the Seebeck
> Computer Center on UA's campus. I will be shooting him an email
> shortly seeing if he would like to be involved.

Yeah, I'd like to see Cameron involved as well, and consider firing off
an email to Darren too, just in case.

-RW